Monday, March 14

I'm Not Sure if it Was "Canny" or "Corny"

Yes, this is a nothing important post. No reviews today, I'm afraid.


Yesterday, I was working with a couple of my friends to fill boxes to the brim with canned, bagged, unprepared, and any other type of food you can imagine (Our record box had 83 cans!). It took a group of five teenagers three hours to load all of them into mountains of boxes. My friend's dad went out twice to get us boxes to use. At first, we sorted them by type of food in the can, like veggies, fruits, soups, but then we got really lazy, and we just had cans, bags, boxes, etc. What else could we do? It took forever to finish packing all of those boxes, and then guy came by eight more cans. Seriously dude? Twice, the boxes of a whole lot of cans fell through the bottom, and we had to use masking tape on the bottom of the box to keep it shut. It turned out really well, and I got three service hours for National Junior Honor Society. I need to get seven total this year, so that's a really good start. 


After the traumatizing experience of loading canned corn in bags (It was really CORNY!!! ... Sorry.), my friend's dad, whose house we were working at, took the five man band out to dinner. We went to Bob Evan's, a restaurant I hadn't been to in a while, and waited an hour to get our food. And poor Zombieman13's waffle was smashed. A sad fate. I ate a corner of it. It was still delicious. Even though it looked kinda dead. And that was the conclusion of our day. I would tell you how many cans we packed, but I really have no idea. We added the numbers up three times, and got different stuff every time. 912, 10,48 and 2,662 were our very different estimates. When I did it, I used an app on the iPhone I borrowed from my friend. Yeah, I'm not used to touch screens. So in the end, I blame technology. 


I had my STEM skills conference on Saturday, and it was more fun than last year. My first session was a Biochemistry class. We tested pouring different liquids into diced potatoes, and seeing how they reacted. The water and vinegar did nothing, but the peroxide made bubbles. It turns out, an enzyme called CATALASE caused the peroxide to separate into water and oxygen gas. It was pretty cool.


Next was my favorite, Anatomy. I loved our instructor. She was really funny, a good teacher, and had an entertaining accent. This class was all about dissection. Last year it was kidneys. This year it was brains. It was really cool! I may sound creepy, but it was amazing to see inside a brain. It belonged to a sheep. Formerly named Bob. According to my partner, that is.


Next class was Surgery. I liked this one a lot. We had three different stations. One for stitching, where we stitched a banana that got in an accident. Two, for watching a video of a new type of surgery being done. And three, for simulating using a tool to reach around inside someone's body when doing surgery while looking at a screen to see what you are doing. I really liked the video, but I can't go into detail on a blog because it was rather Health room-ish. Sorry. I just don't think guys would be comfortable reading something like that.


Last, I had Nursing, which was pretty cool. We learned how to check someone's pulse, and feel a heartbeat. As well as use a stethoscope for listening to breathing. It was neat. 


And before I knew it, the day was over. I got to see my friend from my old town who went to the conference, so that made me even happier. 


And if you're wondering why I'm not at school, I have a dentist appointment today. I'll be here for a while. I'm done now.

2 comments:

  1. My poor little innocent belgian waffle...stupid cook...little waffle...you are missed dearly...

    ReplyDelete