Saturday, February 26

Tale as Old as Time

True as it can be.

As you might of guessed, unless you're a Disney-hater, that is from Beauty and the Beast. A classic movie and play with wonderful music, singing, and dancing.

That is, if the group does a good job.

In these circumstances, they did better than good. It is a word/phrase known as Super Special Awesome. I say that, because it was the closest thing to professional that I've ever seen done by a HIGH SCHOOL. Yes, that's right. the high school that my older sister goes to did Beauty and the Beast, and dare I say it was fantastic. Belle didn't miss a note singing, the Beast had amazing roars, Lumiere had the French accent spot on, and Gaston was hilariously conceited. When I was about six, or so, I was in a community theatre performance of the topic of these paragraphs, as a dancing saucer, of course. Anyways, that attempt at it was good, but it couldn't touch this high school production. The dancing was wonderful, and as a dancer myself, I really liked watching all the different styles. Seriously, in Be Our Guest, there was the Be Our Guest, sort of dancing, but it changed about three times. Once to a Can-Can sort of thing, and then it changed key, then it was Tango, then they slowed it down, and made it really fun to watch.
On the subject of the music, instead of the whole, CD thing, they had a pit orchestra. I knew a couple of the musicians in the pit, simply because two of them, the piccolo/flute and the bass clarinet/clarinet, are interns that come into my band class every other day, and help different sections of the band on their parts. But any how, the orchestra was able to play for what seemed like hours on end. It was fantastic. I was so inspired when I heard the bassoon solos. The sound was perfectly in tune, and had a soft, sweet, sound, that I'm not able to obtain at this point in time.

I wish I had more time to elaborate, but I have to go. So long.

No comments:

Post a Comment