Sunday, April 24

It is a Truth Universally Acknowledged, That Every Fan of Pride and Prejudice Must Have the Utmost Respect and Admiration for Colin Firth as the Best Mr. Darcy

For your information Beatlechick24, there is no hope for you.


Today is Easter, and I was so excited, I awoke at my usual time of 9:50. There was a basket of candy prepared for me, with pastel-colored chocolate eggs, packaged fun-sized store-bought candy bars, and a chocolate bunny. The bunny will be spared, but not for long.


If you have begun to read some of the blogs I follow, or picked up on who of my friends wrote what blog post, it should be obvious that I am at war with Beatlechick24. My mind has been engulfed in classical literature. I finished To Kill a Mocking Bird yesterday, and as of today, I'm 100 pages into Pride and Prejudice. Holy crap. I just realized that three of my followers and many of my readers probably don't know what I've been talking about for the past twenty-million posts. How about a book summary?


For this particular story, we find ourselves in 19th century England. The local villages of Longbourn and Meryton are always buzzing with news of matrimony and romance. But it is nothing compared to the reaction that comes from the arrival of some new neighbors with great fortune: the Binglys. 
The middle-class family, the Bennets, are most excited about meeting the family, in hopes of one of their five accomplished and agreeable daughters to be united with young Mr. Bingly or his friend, Mr. Darcy. But while the family is exceedingly pleased with Mr. Bingly's happy manners and personality, they are astonished by Mr. Darcy's rude and prideful behavior. Mr. Darcy is said to have double the annual salary of Mr. Bingly, but how could one of the girls possibly learn to love someone like him? 


Maybe that wasn't the best of summaries, but I didn't want to copy one off of the Internet or the movie box. I'm not that uncreative. Am I? Don't answer that. Anyway, the main reason I'm not very far into the book is because it was written in the 19th century. Therefore, the writing style is pretty difficult to take in at a fast pace. Kinda like Shakespeare, but less ornate. There are some excellent lines in that book, you have no idea. I can't see how anyone could make a two-hour movie and keep all of the amazing lines and clever scenarios Incorporated. It just doesn't work as well as a total of six-hours. See the difference?


I'm done. I mean, it's Easter. Gotta do stuff. Bye.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. My mom and I are so pleased. But the two of us, Cami, would do well to remember that both of these actors are men that have at least 20 years on us, if not more. We will never meet them, so why should it matter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin Firth is the same age as my mom. The only problem is, he's married.
    IT MATTERS BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THE DISAPPEARANCE IN ENGLISH YET TO OCCUPY MY MIND.

    ReplyDelete